T-MARC Tanzania applies its social marketing and behaviour change communication expertise to HIV/AIDS programmes that reach the most at risk Tanzanians. These interventions offer target populations useful tools and information that influences behaviour change to safeguard individuals and families against HIV infection. Some of projects T-MARC has helped implement include:
- Promoting and supporting faithfulness among adult couples
- Use of condoms to prevent HIV infection
- Promoting and raising awareness of voluntary counselling and testing services
- Reducing stigma associated with a positive HIV status
- Increasing the availability and use of high-quality, low priced subsidised products to prevent HIV infection
T-MARC also trains and empowers parents to communicate with their pre-adolescent children about sexuality, reproductive health and avoidance of sexual risk. By overcoming communication barriers associated with discussing sexuality, T-MARC promotes abstinence and enables adolescents to delay sexual debut and the health and psychological risks associated with it, thus halting the spread of HIV/AIDS amongst the youth in Tanzania.