BCC AND SOCIAL MARKETING
T-MARC Tanzania has developed and implemented behaviour change communication (BCC) projects in Tanzania since 2004. It has experience in developing evidence-based activities that bring about changes in behaviour in targeted populations. T-MARC, along with its partners, has conducted formative research into most at risk populations in Tanzania including commercial sex workers, truck drivers, barmaids and men in uniform. The formative research forms a basis for and supports our BCC strategies. T-MARC emphasizes important stratagems such as:
- Assessing and understanding the target population’s environment and norms
- Understanding the target population’s met and unmet needs as well as those of important influencers
- Discovering the key factors (determinants) that heavily influence behaviour
- Tailoring effective communication programmes to target populations
- Using multiple reinforcing messages delivered through culturally appropriate communications channels
T-MARC has designed and implemented several important BCC initiatives in Tanzania including MAISHA, Mama Ushauri, Jipende Grants Program and Sikia Kengele. See Achievements to learn more about these past projects.
T-MARC Tanzania has been involved in social marketing since 2004 when the T-MARC Project was launched. T-MARC has made the following brands available, attractive and affordable:
In addition, T-MARC has provided support to the following brands:
- Pedzinc, a treatment for childhood diarrhoea
- Save Lo-ORS, a low osmolarity oral rehydration solution for treating diarrhoea for children under five
- PUR, water purification sachets to prevent water-borne illnesses
Pedzinc and Save Lo-ORS were established on behalf of Shelys Pharmaceutical in Tanzania under the AED-led POUZN project (Point of Use Water Purification and Zinc Treatment). PUR was a one-time procurement and distribution to U.S. government partners working with people living with HIV/AIDS.
In particular, T-MARC has experience in planning and executing the activities necessary to support these brands including:
- Developing market insights
- Brand positioning
- Developing marketing programme objectives
- Developing a marketing plan that encompasses product, price, distribution and promotion goals and strategies
- Developing and executing a work plan and budgets
- Developing and executing a research plan to support the above activities
Under the T-MARC Project, led by AED, T-MARC successfully established and marketed the above brands. Please see Achievements for more information. Under TSMP, led by PSI Tanzania, T-MARC has continued its sales, and has been working with PSI to more optimally manage the total market for subsidized health products.